Families Change Teen Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


There are lots of people around you who can help you cope with your parents splitting up. Sometimes, just talking to a friend can help a lot, especially if his or her parents have also split up.

You can also talk to an adult you trust, like:

  • A relative (an aunt or uncle, or your grandmother or grandfather).
  • Your teacher.
  • Your school counsellor.
  • Someone at your place of worship.
  • Your family doctor.

These people can help by:

  • Just listening.
  • Helping you to put things in perspective.
  • Suggesting things you can do to make things better.
  • Connecting you with other people who can help.

Call the Kids Help Phone, at 1-800-668-6868, free from anywhere in Canada. You can also visit the Kids Help Phone web site.

Q & A

I really feel like I need some help. Who should I ask?

There are lots of people around you who can help. Tell your parents, teacher, school counsellor, family doctor or another adult you trust.

If you aren't getting the help you think you need, keep asking until you get it.